Sudoku Help-U-Solve Program
Not yet completely tested, BETA versions, use at your own risk.
This program is provided as contribution-ware in an attempt to help you
increase your enjoyment and understanding of the popular Sudoku puzzles.
For private, non-comercial use only.
All rights are reserved by VIPS: Video Image Presentation Systems.
Installation on various PC operating systems:
Sorry, Mac OS, Unix, etc. not supported.
- Windows 98: Should work, not yet tested.
- Windows 98 SE: One person reported that installing the oleaut32.dll file seemed to
cause a problem, and it was necessary to NOT install that file to get things to work.
- Windows ME: Should work, not yet tested.
- Windows XP Home: the program might run without installation. In one case, it appeared
that the necessary files to support Visual Basic 6 were already there.
- Windows XP Pro: One system did not seem to tolerate the oleaut32.dll file,
and it appeared that the necessary files to support Visual Basic 6 were already there.
- Windows 2000: No experience yet.
- Windows NT/4: No experience yet.
- Windows Vista: Appears to work, with no installation required.
- Windows 7: No experience yet.
Links to Download later Help-U-Solve versions (and Puzzles.txt files):
These versions contain an executable (.exe) file and a Puzzles file.
Usually, the newer executable file can just be copied over the older
executable file, if any - usually found in the C:\Program Files\Help-U-Solve\ directory.
If you have added (Saved) puzzles to your existing Puzzles.txt file, you might
want to avoid overwriting that file.
If no install is needed, or if it is not known that an install is necessary for your OS, first try downloading this "zip" file, extracting the files, and runing the "exe" file, before trying the install below. This is a LOT easier if it works.
Links to Download the Help-U-Solve 2.0 Setup and Install diskette images:
For use only when an install of the VB Runtime support is necessary
(not already included in the OS or SP).
WARNING: Use this Setup and Install at your own risk.
The MS/VB-generated Setup package (done on XP Home SP2)
seems to have problems completing on other systems,
particularly concerning the 'installation' of the oleaut32.dll file.
Links to other Sudoku Pages:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Doesn't this make it too easy?
Are you planning to make additions?
Can you generate new Puzzles?
- Yes, it does the easy stuff, but it still leaves the harder stuff for you to do.
If all you want is a solution, then you might think that the program is not (yet) capable enough.
- Yes, I would like to add helps and hints for additional solving strategies.
I would like to add them in such a way that they help you learn the more
advanced solution strategies, rather than just doing all the work for you.
- Not at this time. However, I would like to add that capability as I
come to understand the puzzle-creation strategies better.
This FAQ page is a work in progress, so your good suggestions are welcome.
E-Mail puzzle and program-related comments to: Gary G
Please put "SUDOKU" (in caps, without the quotes) in the subject line so that
your email is not filtered out as "junk" email. Thanks.
Last revised 02 Jun 2011, 11:03 AM
© Copyright (C) VIPS, 2005. All rights reserved.